I was playing Star Trek Online just fine until one of the game servers must have crashed, so I figure I’ll take the time to write a quick post while I’m number 753 in the server queue trying to get back in. This one is dedicated to the little things we notice in our MMO games, the stuff that doesn’t affect gameplay but puts a smile on our faces nonetheless.
Three little things that make me appreciate Star Trek Online:
- The whirring sound the things in my inventory make when I move them around. Sometimes I click stuff randomly in there just to hear that sound effect. Easily amused? You bet I am.
- After a fight, I can kick the resulting debris and pieces of rubble around on the ground (though I think I might have been able to do this in Champions Online too, I can’t recall). The first time it happened to me, I was like, what the hell are those, space roaches?
- Overheard from an NPC on Earth Spacedock: “Have you seen Commander Sulu lately?”
On the flip side, three little things that bug me in Star Trek Online:
- I can customize my character and my bridge officers down to the shape of their eyebrows but I can’t make them smile? Right now they all look like they’re posing for their mug shots or a Canadian passport photo.
- The groups of NPCs patrolling the corridors on certain spacedocks can get so thick sometimes, turning a corner and running into them is like slamming into a brick wall. Reminds me of walking down a sidewalk stuck behind a family of five taking their sweet time and walking shoulder to shoulder.
- Warping out through a planet. That must hurt.
What little things do you notice?